Monday, October 20, 2014

Working for the weekend

I am so freaking tired lately. I get up before 6am most mornings, and this time of the year the sun isn't even up then to help me out. It seems like Brian is having an even harder time, and I've started gradually turning on the lights for him when I get up to help him wake up easier.
My weekends aren't usually super exciting, but it's so nice to be able to take my time with things. I sleep in a little bit. I get up and make myself a breakfast that's not just fruit and yogurt. I take a long shower, and I do my makeup with a little more care than I can take on a normal morning. I usually walk down to the coffee shop and drink coffee and read for a couple of hours. I'll catch up on a little TV (Supernatural and Twin Peaks were the programs of choice this weekend), do some cleaning and some laundry, maybe work out a little bit so I don't feel quite to bad about all of the couch sitting. There might be a nap, because all that relaxing makes me sleepy.
With the days already getting so short, it's kind of tough to get good photos for here. I sort of like the dim, moody lighting of dusk on an overcast day, but it's not great for picking up details. This weekend was lovely, crisp and sunny, so it was nice spending some time out in the yard getting some good shots.
This may have been a very roundabout way to say that I took a lot of pictures this weekend. Check me out, y'all.
IMG_4983
This sweater is Brian's, and I may have to steal it from him. Oh, and I bought a beret. Does that invalidate my rant about not wanting to dress like a French girl?
IMG_4991
I haven't worn an outfit like this in a while, but I used to dress like this pretty much all of the time. Over-sized top, leg-baring mini, tights, boots - that was pretty much my fall uniform. It's kind of nice to fall back into old habits once in a while, but I don't think that'll ever really be me full time again.
IMG_5020
I was taking makeup pictures by the door when I realized that there was a much better backdrop right next to me.
IMG_5041
The leaves on the tree are this brilliant shade of chartreuse. I know people say that taking photos all the time distracts us from really experiencing the moment, but I think taking pictures actually helps make you aware of things you might not have otherwise noticed.
IMG_5128
So this hat is probably my favorite of all the ones that I own right now. I saw it at Vintage Underground, passed it over, and then spent a month thinking about it. There's just something so flamboyant about the broad brim, the bright green color, the gold braid that practically drips from it.
IMG_5124
It's different from anything else that I own, which is probably why I love it so much. It does have the unfortunate tendency to go flying off my head at any stray gust of wind, but there's a strap to keep it in place. A little dorky, but no dorkier than chasing your rogue hat down.
IMG_5147
IMG_5171
It makes me feel like a bullfighter, or at least the hostess at an Argentinean steakhouse. (I should note that I don't really know what bullfighters do, other than swirl their capes dramatically. This might have already been obvious.)
IMG_20141019_095246_750
IMG_5180
Some details. 
Brian's parents did take us on a tour for part of Open House Chicago, which is a pretty interesting event. Different buildings and companies open up for free tours, and the one that we went on was of a concrete factory, which was surprisingly interesting. I'll be putting some photos of that up on Instagram, if you want to check them out. 
And Halloween is just 11 days away! I'm definitely going to have some costume ideas popping up on here before the big day.

11 comments:

  1. You look so incredibly fall in every single one of these outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling pretty fall crazy this year, it's definitely showing up in my outfits.

      Delete
  2. You are rocking those hats sublimely, dear gal!!! I love how your short hair keeps the hat at the forefront, if that makes sense. Sometimes when a person has long and/or wildly coloured hair, you see it more than the hat or two vie for your eye. Here your beautiful shorter length really lets the hat's beauty and charm shine through.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There are some hats that I have that I think would work better if I had a bit more hair to work with, but I'm working on finding ways to make things work without it.

      Delete
  3. I actually can't wait to see your Halloween ideas, even if my country isn't remotely interested in it and I therefore feel like a fool for even thinking about a costume :( your fall looks have been so great so far - loving all the colours. You're putting my wardrobe to shame, I need to get on the autumn stuff! And that hat frankly is amazing, why wouldn't you love it?! CC x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would have chosen a hat like that even 3 months ago, so discovering how cool a piece like that can be was a real treat. I didn't realize that Halloween wasn't big in the UK - I guess I just tend to assume that everyone's as into playing dress-up as I am.

      Delete
  4. It actually was surprisingly cool. I'd never thought much about concrete before, but it gave me a great appreciation of what goes into building a city like this. I just wish I could have seen more of the exhibits.

    ReplyDelete