Friday, October 10, 2014

Sunshine in a bag

rphoh5
Hmmm...
Do you guys remember that song from Gorillaz? "I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad, I've got sunshine in a bag, I'm useless, but not for long, my future is coming on...." The first time I heard it, actually, was on an episode of Angel, and it stuck in my head for years before I found it who it was by. I think it probably had something to do with the fact that the episode was about a man who could induce misogynistic rage in other men; it's one of the few episodes that I found genuinely horrifying, so it really stuck with me.

But, all that aside, I'm in a pretty good mood today. I got some interesting news relating to my work, which I don't want to discuss until things are a little more concrete, but which is making me very quietly excited. I also got mani/pedis with one of my best friends, and getting to hang out with her always makes me happy.
There was another odd thing that happened that's giving me this glow of contentment. I was on the train home yesterday, and it was ridiculously, giving-sardines-stink-eye-because-of-all-the-space-they-have crowded. Normally, in situations like that, I'll wait a while until there's a train where I can grab a seat, but yesterday I was pressed for time and had to hop on. Instead of feeling bothered by the press of humanity, after a couple of minutes it started to seem interesting and amusing. Sometimes other people can feel like an annoyance, but yesterday they just felt like people. While I know that every person is an individual with their own thoughts and needs and feelings, that's not something that I actively think about all of the time. On the train, with the press of bodies all around me, I would catch glimpses of people from across the train and wonder what sort of people they were, what sort of thoughts they were thinking. They were just fascinating all of a sudden, and it's making me feel well disposed towards people today too.
flat,550x550,075,f
Just add color and you'll have an accurate representation of how crowded it was on the train.
This weekend should be pretty fun. Somehow, Brian's mom managed to pop him and his brother out right around their dad's birthday, which I think is really just great planning. We're going to a fancy French restaurant in the West Loop for the party, and I'm looking forward to getting a little dressed up and hanging out with some very nice people. If the Chicago Marathon doesn't interfere, we might go boating on Sunday too. Woo-hoo!
rphoh1
You've seen this peacock skirt from Heart of Haute before. I do want to thank Naomi from Just Teenyboppin' Along for telling me I could just snip the belt off, because I like it much more without it. I'm still a little unsure about how to style the skirt - the print is so beautiful, and I don't want to wear anything that competes with it too much, but I don't want to default to boring black either. I do like this golden colored top with it, though, and seeing how well it works gives me some interesting layering ideas. We'll see how that turns out.
rphoh2
*monotone voice* "Oh, look. It is a tree. How interesting."
rphoh6

Who's got some fun plans for the weekend?  

8 comments:

  1. Crowded transport is fine as long as there's no old ladies trying to mount you... Also loving the mustard with this skirt - mustard is definitely a neutral in my books, it goes with so much. I'd probably pair a pastel with this skirt, like a pale blue fluffy jumper or something - but that might be because I'm currently eying up said jumper online... Heh. I'm planning to do lots of laundry this weekend :S darn holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like you need a vacation after your vacation just to recover.
      Mustard's definitely turning into my favorite neutral these days. I feel like I keep gravitating to things in that color every time I'm in a store. I have a non-fuzzy blue cardigan I'll have to try it with, though.

      Delete
  2. the first time i heard this song was in a german comercial - and i went totally crazy about it. as a big fan of blur i noticed right away, that this was damon albarn singing ... it took me a while to find out the name of the band ...
    this peacock skirt is totally awesome! i love peacocks ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really couldn't resist it when I saw it. The print is just so lovely.

      Delete
  3. Good mood days are awesome! I was trying to think what to pair with peacock pattern, so I googled photos of actual peacocks to see what backgrounds they went well with! Based on that, I think purple or pinky purples, as well as white and yellow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to try purple. I'm a bit lazy when it comes to prints - it's so easy to just grab stuff that's an accent color in the print, because then you don't have to worry about matching

      Delete
  4. *gasp* You mentioned me! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank you for giving me some really good advice!

      Delete