Monday, October 13, 2014

Mod Men

When I was thinking up the pun for this title, for some reason Mod Men was what popped into my head. I would totally watch that show, by the way - a group of swinging mods living in London in the 60s, motoring around on scooters and solving crimes. A&E, get on this.
IMG_4823
I've got so many hats these days. My collection started with a single specimen, which Brian bought for me last Christmas; since then, I've acquired probably 10 or 15 more. I know, I have a problem. I feel like I don't wear them nearly as often as I should, though, so this week I'm going to try to wear one every day. 
The one that I'm wearing here is a pretty new acquisition. It's a really interesting construction, and I feel it's got a very 60s feel to it, kind of like an interesting take on the peaked pixie hats that were popular in that decade. 
IMG_20141012_174408_319IMG_20141012_174444_280
I don't know why it photographed blue like this. It is definitely black.
This outfit seemed like a good fit with the hat. Admittedly, it's a little more 60s secretary than British mod girl, but I think the influence is still there. I do wish I had a good a-line mini to wear with this, though. Unfortunately, it was recently pointed out to me that mini skirts tend to be significantly shorter in the back than in the front - like, check out the undercarriage short. Just one more thing to whip up once I've got my sewing machine running, I guess. Still, this pencil skirt was a great find. Now I have two that fit me in the waist and the hips!
IMG_4804
IMG_4789
I didn't do it on purpose, but I totally match the foliage right now.
IMG_20141012_132856_071
See a family resemblance?
I'm kind of excited to start working hats into my outfits this week. I think setting myself challenges like this makes getting dressed more fun. It can be tough sometimes, working with a restraint like that, but it forces me to look at my wardrobe with new eyes.
I've set myself a couple of other challenges as well. I'm learning guitar, and now that my fingers have toughened up a little bit, I want to try to learn four different chords and how to play them in succession. I also want to work out for half an hour each day this week. Maybe I'll make goals for each week, and see how I do with them.
What do you guys think? Is there anything that you love and have a lot of, but don't get as much use out of as you should?

14 comments:

  1. You matched the foliage and the fence with the skirt too - almost camouflage ;) I love mustard tights, and the colours you've paired them with. Like I say, it's a great but also fun neutral. I love the jumper and the skirt also - I'd wear this whole outfit to work right now. Maybe the hat would be too much... Shame as it's super cute. I want more hats but I'm lazy about them and keep buying berets because I know I like them. They're an outfit bloggers best friend though, as they make every style look pulled together and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I stand veeeeery still, maybe no one will see me...

      Delete
  2. Digging the brick wall backdrop. I'd say your look does have a quirky British quality. Maybe it's the tweed look in your skirt? Setting goals is a great idea. My problem is holding myself accountable to them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tweed is always so British, isn't it?
      I think it helps me that I'm always really vocal about my goals, so I tend to feel embarrassed if I don't keep up my end of things. Not that anyone's going to be upset or, well, care that much, but still.

      Delete
  3. I love the variety of textures in this look! It looks cozy, smart and sophisticated all at once. The fact that you match the foliage sends me into aesthetic bliss! :)

    ~Isabella
    adventuresinhel.blogspot.fi 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! It was a really cozy outfit, I'm sure I'll come back to it as the temperature keeps dropping.

      Delete
  4. Mod Men. YES. Very cute. I can't wait to see what other hats you'll be wearing this week! HEHE YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Hat challenge. I have to give myself some more specific hat challenges too, that go beyond "wear your hats more often", which isn't good enough!

    The shape on this one is really cute, and thanks for showing the inside! I'm always admiring the hats on blogs, but they never show me enough of the details :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of had you in mind when I took those pics, actually. I loved how interesting the construction was.

      Delete
  6. I too have a love affair with vintage hats. Fall is such a great time for vintage and vintage inspired hats as well. What a perfect time to set a great goal. Seeing/reading your blog makes me so sad that I've had to put so much of my stuff into storage for the winter. I'd love to be doing your challenge with you. Do you find photographing your hats for blog posts as challenging as I do? The just never look as fabulous in pictures as they do in real life.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a pain in the ass to get good photos of them. Sometimes it's that if I'm showing off the details of the hat, I look really awkward and don't like the picture, or a lot of the details that make it pretty get kind of lost in two dimensions.
      Maybe I should invite other people to do it with me next time. That could be really fun.

      Delete
  7. Mustard + emerald + grey with touches of black. Winning on the colour combo front massively!!! I may just have to borrow that stunner of a palette from you (pronto), dear gal!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete