Friday, October 17, 2014

Leopard is a neutral

You know what's weird? I felt like I had so many hats until I started wearing them every day, and now I feel like I need more of them. Just a fun, colorful one. And maybe a cute cloche. And a gray one. And maybe a leopard one...
Obviously, at a certain point, I reach maximum hat density, but it could take a while.
I'm starting to feel like hats both are and aren't accessories. It's sort of like shoes - sometimes you just grab your black flats that go with everything, and sometimes you have to build an outfit around a particularly interesting pair. I'd say most of the hats that I bought so far fall into the interesting category, so I've found myself reaching for sleeker, more modern, more subdued items in my wardrobe to let the hat stand out.
IMG_4945
Well, sort of. I don't know if two tone shoes, bright blue, and leopard really count as subdued for most people, but hey, I'm wearing plain black pants! That never happens!
IMG_4981
Something about this outfit made me feel like Michael Jackson. Maybe the shoes. I just felt like I had to try and dance around and get up to antics.
IMG_4951
IMG_4950
 I don't really have a good enough camera or sense of timing to capture said antics, but you get the drift.
IMG_4973
I'm bending over backwards (well, sideways) to get good pictures!
This is actually the hat that Brian bought me that sparked my interest in vintage hats. I don't wear it very often, just because it is such a HAT, but I found it really fun with an outfit like this.
I love the combination of yellow and gray, and I think these photos turned out pretty well, but I would probably not wear this outfit this way again.
IMG_4906
I don't know what it is, but I'm just not totally happy with it. This hat, I believe, is from the 30s, but there's a slightly Edwardian feel to it that I don't think meshed as well as it could have with the rest of the outfit.
IMG_4934
IMG_4926
For someone who usually is like "fuck rules, fashion should be fun!", I'm actually kind of weird about matching my tights to my boots. These tights are just slightly bluer than these boots, and it drives me crazy. I actually own a few pairs of gray tights because last winter I kept buying them, trying to find a perfect match. Seriously, how hard is it to find mushroom gray tights?
IMG_4922

I'm still going to be in hat wearing mode this weekend, so hopefully I have something fun to show you guys on Monday. It might be a new hat. You don't know my life.

12 comments:

  1. Fabulous looks! It so is!!! Assuming the colours are natural (aka, not the acid/neon leopards I remember seeing ravers wear in the 90s), there's exceedingly little that leopard can't play nicely with. I'm especially keen on partnering it with red, aqua, and soft pink.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pairings sound really pretty, I'll have to keep them in mind the next time I feel like busting out this coat. Really, though, it does feel like it goes with everything.

      Delete
  2. You already know I am in the 'leopard is a neutral' camp, so no need to convert me! I love seeing you in trousers and what you've done with them - it definitely works! I think you've touched on the reason I end up buying plain shoes and hats - I don't have enough money to build outfits around them so every item needs to get maximum, matching wear. I'll buy all the colours of something I want before I get the crazy stuff... Hear you on the not quite matching a colour thing. It shouldn't be that hard! I need me some grey tights, thanks for the reminder ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the crazy stuff, and I've been pushing myself to buy more of it - the hard part is figuring out how to incorporate it. Some people make it seem so effortless, and I wish I knew how!

      Delete
  3. I love both of these hats! And the great outfits. I would call both of these hats pretty subdued, but I suppose that is just the colours. I consider any black hat to be pretty subdued, no matter how crazy it is!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the colors are subdued, but they're definitely some of the more... hat-y hats that I own. The black one doesn't look like much in these photos, but it's quite the lid. Very 60s meets saucepan, actually.

      Delete
  4. I couldn't agree more about leopard being a neutral!! I particularly love it with red, but I love what you've done with both the blue and the yellow. These outfits are fabulous and the hats are the cherry on top. Great job.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I didn't used to wear much red, but I'm starting to incorporate it into my wardrobe a bit more. I'll definitely have to throw the leopard coat into the mix too.

      Delete
  5. i missed so many great posts .... i love both hats ... both outfits .... and i always will love leopard prints. yes, this print is neutral (most of them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd say the hat experiment was definitely a success.

      Delete
  6. I am all about the leopard print this fall! Never thought of it as a "neutral" but really dig the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leopard is the best this time of year! I wish I had more leopard print items, actually.

      Delete