Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Bad Hattitude

I mentioned yesterday that I'm trying to justify the slightly ridiculous number of hats that I own by actually, you know, wearing them. I fall in love with them when I see them at the store, but when it comes to incorporating them into my every day life, I either forget that I have them, or put them on, decide they're too outlandish, and take them right back off. Hence, this project where I make myself choose a hat to wear every damn day for the next week. I'm actually considering extending it for two weeks, just because I realized I have that many languishing in a big pile o' hats, sad and unworn.
Of course, human beings have a long and storied history of wearing crazy shit on their heads.
portrait
This one is actually pretty simple, by the standards of medieval noblewomen.
080724_caricature3
And this caricature of Marie Antoinette is certainly a little exaggerated, but only a little.
1909extremehat1
Hats didn't really get any saner when we hit the start of the 20th century either.
iconic-hats-26.nocrop.w840.h1330.2x
You guys know I love Carmen Miranda, but the woman was not a minimalist.
schiaparelli-shoe-hat_insert
Shoes on heads and vagina flowers in the background. Tres chic.
003_cecil-beaton_theredlist
Beautiful, and comparatively simple, but this would require some serious hat pins (and possibly some super glue) to stay in place.
BeatonPort1
This hat may be the least complicated thing that she's wearing, actually.
IMG_4891
Compared to all these other fabulous ladies, I'm feeling a little plain Jane. (By the way, I'm not saying I took this picture while sitting in my bathtub, but I'm not saying I didn't take it there either.) It's good to get a little perspective about what really constitutes an outlandish hat.

4 comments:

  1. The over-the-top hats of all eras really call out to me, especially the crazy late-medieval horned and heart-shaped headdresses, and I love anything that it basically a sculpture on the head. And modern millinery (in Australia, at the racetrack, at least) is soooooo over-the-top crazy sometimes, but most people are still not wearing everyday-type hats. We need more campaigners like you :) That red hat is a winner. Simple and stylish and a flattering shape.

    Oooh you might enjoy this pinterest board "Really Strange Hats" (http://www.pinterest.com/wcpsue/really-strange-hats/) but not all of them are that strange. There are some doozies though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked out that pinterest board, those are so great! I love the owl hat, and some of those modern ones are so fun. I didn't post any derby hats (although I probably should have), but I do really love big race day pictures because of all the fabulous hats and outfits people wear.

      Delete
  2. Ummm, so now I sort of massively want a giant Edwardian lamp shade-esque fruit hat like that. :D No clue where I would wear it, but I'd be more than up for the sartorial challenge!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been dying over Edwardian hats, the bigger the better. I just wish I could wear them without feeling totally ludicrous. I hope you get one, I'm sure you could demonstrate a non-crazy (or just crazy cute) way to wear one.

      Delete