Friday, September 19, 2014

Squares and Drapes

*curtains rise*
"My momma always told me that you have to be a lady to get ahead in life. No one likes a vulgar woman, she said."
IMG_4319
"My momma was like a pretty bird in a cage, singing the songs that she'd been taught, and teaching me the same ones. How to laugh and smile at their jokes, and never disagree with anyone about anything. She says it's the only way to get through life as a woman. I never told her how much I hate biting my tongue."
IMG_4329
"For a long time I still tried to be the lady that she wanted to me to be. But then, one day, I realized something..."
IMG_4305
"I don't always have to be good anymore."
*cue music - M.I.A. Bad Girls*
IMG_4344
"Now, I wear leather jackets and tight skirts. I also stare moodily off into the distance, just so show people how intense I am."
IMG_4371
"Seriously, it's all about the moody stare. And the really, really tight skirt."
IMG_4366
"I actually wish someone had mentioned that being bad would involve shapewear."
IMG_4386
"Ooh, puppy!"
IMG_4382
"But clearly, I was always meant to be a bad girl. I mean, just look at my butt. No, really, look at my butt."
*curtains fall*
Outfit 1:
Cardigan: Banana Republic
Shoes: Zara
Outfit 2:
Skirt: Ann Taylor, thrifted
Shoes: Seychelles
Jacket: Modcloth

Ok, so you guys know that I like dressing to a theme, but I thought it would be funny to try to construct an actual narrative from the photos that I took this week. It kind of struck me how one of the outfits was very "good girl" - a full skirted, high necked, long sleeved dress with a cardigan, in muted mustard and navy - and the other so stereotypically "bad" - tight skirt, red top and red lipstick, leather jacket. It wasn't intentional, but I'd say the split suits my personality pretty well.
I sort of forgot that I had this pencil skirt. I thrifted it last year for something like $3, and the nice thing about it is that it has a fair bit of stretch. Unfortunately, I really do need to wear some kind of girdle with it (I'm actually not wearing anything here) because it's so tight in the hips and thighs, as you can probably tell. MY ASS CAN'T BE TAMED.
Actually, speaking of ass tamers, I just ordered a new girdle from Rago. I already have their open bottomed girdle, and while I like it, there are some serious chub rub issues on my upper thighs. The one that I ordered is their "leg shaper," so I've got high hopes about both the comfort and the shaping abilities. I should have a review for it next week.

I hope everyone has a kick-ass weekend!

10 comments:

  1. What a fresh, fantastic spin to give an outfit post. I dig it immensely, just as I do each of these wonderful ensembles. Seeing the damascene brooch you purchased from my shop made me smile from ear-to-ear. Awesome styling there - I think I would have opted for grey with it as well myself.

    Have a stellar weekend!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually wearing the other brooch that I purchased from you in the first outfit! It was a Chronically Vintage week for me. Those two pins were a really great buy for me.
      I'm glad you liked the post, that means a lot coming from you. :D

      Delete
  2. I love the diversity in styling. Both outfits look fabulous and you wear them so well. But, damn your ass in that skirt, SEXY LADY!!! I love this look so much!! Great job, your posts are inspiring.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Such a great post! And yes...your butt is awesome!

    Looking forward to that review of the shapewear, because I am a victim of chub rub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't really expecting such an enthused reaction to my butt from everyone. :P It's very flattering though, so thank you.
      I'm really excited for this new girdle. I love my thighs, but the rubbing is really annoying.

      Delete
  4. You have the perfect derriere to carry off a skirt like that - va va voom! Looks great with those shoes also. Funny post, gave me a chuckle! P x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why would you want to tame it when it looks so great in that skirt! Some women would pay good money for that! Not me, mind you, I've got more than enough of my own. Eh-hem. Great outfits - but while I'll always love mustard, I'm all about the wiggle! And the shoes in the second look are awesome - I want a pair like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of it more like civilizing it a little bit. Just smoothing out some of the rougher edges...
      Those are probably my most worn shoes, I'm actually getting a little self conscious about how often I wear them in photos. They're really comfy, though, and they go with practically everything. Seychelles shoes really are the bomb.

      Delete