Thursday, September 4, 2014

Outfit Insecurity


IMG_3597
This is my outfit anxiety face.
I'm pretty particular about how I present myself. I mean, of course I am; most people are. For some people, it's pretty obvious - you can tell that they make an effort to be stylish, to be well dressed and well groomed. For other people, it's a deliberate lack of care that they're trying to evoke. For every person that you know who loves to get dressed up and put on that perfectly fitted suit, or just the right shade of lipstick, you probably know at least one person who can't bear to look too fancy, or like they care too much about their appearance. It's all about how we want people to perceive us. I don't know too many people who legitimately don't care about what they wear.
I mentioned yesterday that Friday was the one year anniversary of my first date with Brian, so of course we had to figure out something to do. He left me in charge of planning, so we went to see a really awesome show called The Boxer, at the Athenaeum Theatre. It's a small theater, and they do some interesting productions. This one was like a silent film that was translated onto the stage. There was a pianist playing the backing track, the actors had the sort of expressive faces you find in movies from the teens and 20s, and they had this great trick with the lights that made everything look sepia toned. We both absolutely loved the show, and our dinner afterward was decadent and delicious.
10306552_670732833002928_8997169705668755374_n
The one issue that I had was that I really didn't like what I was wearing. I'd gotten dressed in a hurry that morning, so I was just wearing my work skirt, which is navy, polyester, and above the knee length, and a navy blue and white striped top. It's not that I hate the pieces individually - I just felt so corporate, so not-myself. I had a little pink and blue striped hat that I was wearing with it for a little while, just to give me that vintage feeling that I like, but I took it off when Brian said it made me look like a Dutch dairy girl at a business lunch.
I felt uncomfortable enough in the outfit that I even considered buying a new one at forever21 before I met up with him, although I decided against that in the interest of keeping my finances in order. It's so strange how something like a skirt that's just a little shorter than I would normally like, or a boring but serviceable top, can make me feel like an alien in my own skin.
IMG_20140830_163046
Printed dress, printed head scarf, printed shoes, snake brooch slithering up my shoulder strap: totally comfortable.
IMG_3940
Comfortable enough to hang out in an alley taking pics, anyway.
The vintage aesthetic has come to be a huge part of how I see myself. I can wear an outfit that's loud and attention getting, or over the top feminine, or a petticoat so big it takes up two seats on the train, and not twitch. Put me in business casual outside of work, and I turn into a bundle of twitches, tugging at my skirt and rifling through my purse for a scarf or a pair of button earrings, just to make me feel more like myself.
I'm sure it's not uncommon to have an experience like that. You know how it is - everyone around you is like "you look fine," but in your head you're just itching to rip your clothes off and put something else on. When was the last time you experienced something like this? Or are you that rare bird that generally feels pretty comfortable with what she's wearing, even if it isn't quite typical for you?

13 comments:

  1. I totally know the feeling. It's not that the pieces you're wearing are bad--it's just that they don't convey YOU. In my case, it's that I don't normally like dressing down. Even if I'm wearing jeans, they're always neat and high-waisted and I always have to wear a nice blouse with jewelry and maybe a scarf in my hair. Part of it is because I naturally look way younger than my age, and jeans and a t-shirt only amplify the "Look at me! I'm 16 years old!" kind of thing I'm trying to avoid.

    I adore your dress, though! Such a gorgeous print!

    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's one of my favorites. I also love using a pretty scarf in your hair to dress up jeans a little bit. I don't wear them very often, but I feel like adding something like that takes it from high schooler to Rosie the Riveter.

      Delete
  2. I think you look fantastic, but can wholeheartedly relate to that "just-not-quite-right" feeling when it comes to getting dressed. I run into that from time-to-time and swear it eats away at me like a pesky itch that I can't scratch the whole time I'm sporting that ensemble. Unless I'm bringing company home with me, the first thing I do once I've in the door again is slip into darn near anything else and vow to never wear that outfit exactly the same way again. There really should be a word for this unpleasant/unsettling feeling that us fashion loving folks experience.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be! We should pool our thoughts and try to come up with one.

      Delete
  3. Oh, darling you are so beautiful! Thank you for writing this post! I feel very similarly with my vintage clothes - they are HOME. One of my day jobs is as a financial advisor (lol people always crack up when I say that) and whenever I go to meetings or presentations, I have to wear business formal white on black on something boring, and I just feel dead. Usually when I am in the office just catching up on paperwork or making phone calls, I can wear whatever the hell I want and not give a fuck, but when my corporate day involves others (oh the dread), I have to look "professional". What a term. I even hate just having used it, but that's what everyone calls it. UGH. Why is my flower crown not "professional??"

    Anyways, I love this outfit on you and think you look absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! You are always just the sweetest. And it is annoying that really feminine things generally aren't considered "professional." On the one hand, I get why really tattered or grungy or overtly sexy clothes might not be work appropriate, but if you're put together, what's wrong with a pretty vintage dress?

      Delete
  4. isn't this dress from zara? i suppose i tried it on some weeks ago, it was on sale ... it looked wonderful on the hanger, perfect to be worn with a petticoat. i loved the jungle print ... but the cut was super strange on me and the shoulder straps were falling down my arms and my bust was just gone ... so i let ist in the shop ...
    anyhow, the dress looks fabulos on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is from Zara! And it also makes my boobs disappear! But I'm weirdly ok with it, I love the print and the color and the price was too good to pass it up.

      Delete
    2. Me too, I tried it on and I didn't have the boobs to carry it off! Gorgeous colour and print though. Ah well, it was meant to be 'Jessica's' dress then maybe x

      Delete
  5. I feel that way most times I get dressed! It is usually the "being in a hurry" thing that lets me down, but sometimes also being afraid to dress up and stand out, and ending up with something plainer and more casual. I'm not used to drawing attention to myself. In my brief time in an office job, I started to like some "corportate" looks, but they aren't really me either, so I can understand your issues there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning to let go of worrying about being too dressed up. Sometimes it can feel a little bit awkward, particularly since in the midwest it can seem like just wearing a dress is "dressing up", but after a while I don't even notice. Although sometimes I realize that I've made other people feel underdressed, which I probably shouldn't be as happy about as I am...

      Delete
  6. I know the feeling too!

    I have a big problem now: I can't even dress "softly" or "simple". Well, I realize that a simple outfit for me it is still "overdressed" for others. So I always asking myself "isn't too much?" when I am looking at my outfits. But, I can't do it more simple, even if I try hard. I feel a bit uncomfortable when someone is asking me "but WHY are you dressed like that? To get noticed?" and my answer "no, just I love the dress and the look" seems not to be an answer "heard-able" . Sometimes I missed the times when going outside without a hat, gloves, heels was "undressed". Then, I remembered nowadays we have that chance to dress like we want (well, unfortunately, not everywhere...). We do have freedom for clothes and styles; we can change our style everyday! Someday I am wearing lolita, another vintage and I also could wear modern clothes if I want. Or I can mix ALL style! What a great chance we have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right that sometimes people just don't seem to want to hear you when you say that you're not looking for attention by dressing a certain way. We have images of ourselves, and clothing helps create that. Sometimes attention is nice, and getting compliments (or even funny looks) can be fun, but a lot of the time we're just dressing for ourselves.

      Delete