Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Mammas, don't let your babies grow up to be smokers

15zo107
So, here's my deep, dark secret, which is really only a secret from the internet, because it's sort of hard to hide from people in the real world - I smoke. I haven't had a cigarette for about two weeks, which is a pretty long stretch for me, but I'm feeling a little stressed out, so I'm trying really hard to fight those cravings.
Both of my parents smoked while I was growing up. I remember being deeply disturbed by the anti-smoking ads that were on TV when I was in my early teens, and begging my mom to stop, even running out of the house in anger on a couple of occasions. My parents always smelled like stale cigarette smoke, and they both had that deep, hacking smoker's cough. In my dad, that later developed into emphysema and congestive heart failure.
The obvious question to ask, then, is why did I ever start? Honestly, I don't know. I smoked cloves very briefly in college, mostly because I liked the taste and the look of the black, sugared paper. I smoked one too many one time, though, and now the smell just makes me nauseous. I guess it really started, as a lot of stupid things that young women do, with a guy. I dated a guy that smoked, so when he would smoke, I would smoke. It didn't seem like a big deal - I would bum one from him once in a while, and then one or two a day, and then he'd get annoyed that I was smoking all of his cigarettes and I'd end up buying my own pack. There's no sharply defined transition between occasional, social smoker and that person that's huddled under an awning when it's -10°, desperately puffing away.
skin1
When I young, I didn't realize how hard my parents were trying to quit. It seemed like they smoked constantly, but I also remember a lot of nicotine patches and gum being purchased. My mom had probably been smoking for 20+ years, my dad for close to 40. After so many years, I'm not sure what was stronger - the force of addiction, or the force or habit.
cdc-anti-smoking-4
I hate that I'm repeating their mistakes, but in a way, I understand them so much better than I used to. There are so many things that make me want a cigarette. I'm a huge stress smoker. When my father died, I sat on my porch for hours, chain smoking between bouts of tears. Being angry or frustrated makes me crave them. Drinking makes me crave them. Seeing other people smoke makes me crave them. Seeing anti-smoking ads makes me crave them. Talking about smoking, right now, makes me crave them.
Even though I know that, after one or two of them, they're not going to make me feel good; that they're going to make my clothes smell; that they're going to give me wrinkles; that they're going to shorten my fucking lifespan, I still want them. There's this stupid little part of my brain that thinks "come on, just one more pack. One more pack, and then I'll really quit forever. And look at all the cool people that smoke. Models and old movies stars and people like that. If Lauren Bacall does it, why shouldn't you?" It's just hard to keep saying no when saying yes just seems like such a reasonable thing.
bacallsmoking
3c0cf_abbeyleesmoking
But it's been almost two weeks since my last one, and somehow I've managed to keep saying no. Brian's birthday is in a couple of weeks, and I've made a deal with myself that if I can keep on the straight and narrow until then - healthy eating, no drinking, no smoking - I can debauch myself a little bit while we party. The promise of a little craziness in the future seems to be helping me restrain myself right now.

14 comments:

  1. Good luck quitting! It's definitely not any easy thing to do, but it's going to be rewarding. Have you thought about a vape cigarette? I've heard get things about them helping people quit and I've used them myself. They come in great flavors, though expensive when you initially buy it, and are ok to use inside.
    Anyway, good luck and keep us posted. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to use an e-cig, but it just didn't do it for me. Part of it is the ritual, going outside, lighting it up, the whole thing; part it is also that they don't give you the same kind of buzz. I might dig it out if I find I'm getting a serious craving.

      Delete
  2. Good luck to you!!!! This is something I struggle with every day. Are you using any quit aids, gum, patch?

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I'm not, largely because I'm not sure how helpful they are; I saw my parents try all the different things, and they didn't really make any difference. I might eventually end up picking up something like that, though.

      Delete
  3. As someone who's never smoked, I still know enough people who have/do to see there's usually no obvious reason for starting but as an observer it sure seems hard to give up. My parents have always been deeply against, so it's interesting how different childhoods can have an impact. I really hope you keep going and don't give into temptation as sounds like it'll be a huge boost if you manage it - good luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do think your parents are a pretty strong factor in whether or not you smoke - I was around it constantly when I was a kid, and there've been studies that suggest genetics may play a factor in addiction.

      Delete
  4. All the best of luck and inner strength to eventually quit. I've never been a smoker, and I consider a lot of that to be luck not to have had smokers in my life, allowing me to steer completely clear and remain consistently anti-smoking. Make sure that you see any period of not-smoking as a success, and proof of what you can do, and not to see any periods of smoking again as failures, just as part of the process. Any smoke-free period is helping your body, so it's awesome that you are trying, whatever happens.

    In short, "You can do it!" *cheer*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is really great advice. It's hard not to see giving in as a failure, but viewing my "on the wagon" periods as successes is a really helpful way to frame it.

      Delete
  5. Yes I stopped smoking too and I don't know why but it was so easy I felt like a sheep when I was smoking I paid to kill myself, look less pretty and loose a lot af money??? I feel better now and I don't even miss it a little at first but not at all now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I wish I found it easier, I feel like I've been trying for ages now...

      Delete
  6. Congrats on not smoking for two weeks! I myself have never smoked and my parents didn't either. They pretty much told me I'd die from smoking and that was enough for me. Once I entered the medical field I realized how the effects of smoking change your body as a whole. I can tell if a patient is a smoker without even asking, you can see it on their organs. It's crazy! Anyway, I hope you continue with your journey. It may be hard at first, but there are so many rewards to stopping while you're still young :). I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was very smart of your parents. Obviously mine never encouraged me to smoke, but being around it so much definitely makes an impression on you. I'm trying to quit now, but I know if I ever had kids, that would be the end of it, full stop.

      Delete
  7. Way to go! Two weeks is no small feat when trying to give up anything addictive - let alone something as wildly addictive as cigarettes. Thank you for speaking so candidly with us about your history with smoking and what you're going through now, dear gal. I wholeheartedly believe in you and wish you the utmost of success with long term quitting.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's tough, especially when I'm feeling stressed out, but it helps to have the support.

      Delete