Friday, September 12, 2014

It's fall, bitches!

According to the thermometer (if not the calendar), yesterday was the first day of fall. It was chilly and cloudy, staying below 60° the entire day. Do I actually have to tell you how much I love it?
Ok, I know I'm probably getting a little bit repetitive with all of the "I love fall! Fall clothes! Pumpkin spice everything!" cheerleading, but I can't really help it. I do genuinely enjoy all of the seasons, at least for a little while, but I love fall all the way through. It's the back-to-school thing, I think; it's that sense that anything could happen, that there's an entire new world of possibilities open to you. It's like New Year's, but more so, at least in my opinion, because there are actual, practical changes. And, of course, growing up it was the only time of the year that I could reliably expect to get new clothes, so there's that.
But whatever, enough introspective bullshit about why I like fall. I promise, that was the last of it. Let's talk about how cute I looked yesterday.
IMG_4159
I may have gone slightly overboard with the blacks and browns and bronzes, but whatever. I was excited.
IMG_4164
This was my attempt at a sexy face. I'm pretty sure I just look like I want to murder someone. Thoughts?
IMG_4150
IMG_4154
The view from the back. I love how this cape comes to a point, it's such a nice little detail.
IMG_4182
IMG_4175
A couple of close-ups to show off this lipstick and this bracelet. The bracelet is from Topshop, and it's one of the few souvenirs I picked up for myself when I was in Dublin last year. I actually find it really annoying to wear, but it's so cute that I'm trying to acclimate myself to it. The lipstick is Sephora's Rouge Cream Lipstick in Truth or Dare.
I don't know where you guys stand on furs, but in the past few years, I've come to accept that I like them and want to wear them. I think there are a lot of issues with how they're produced these days - like all mass production involving animals, a lot of the time they're kept in poor conditions and killed in ways that can be unethical and unnecessarily painful. However, I eat meat and wear leather, and while I try to make sure that that is ethically sourced, it seems hypocritical for me to say that fur is bad because... ?. With vintage furs (which both of mine are), it just seems like a non-issue. The animal has been dead for 50+ years, and what are we supposed to do with them, if not wear them?
I'm probably over-thinking the whole thing. I mean, I can't remember the last time that I actually encountered someone that had something negative to say about the fact that I wear fur. I've heard people online say that they don't wear theirs out and about very often because they think Peta's going to track them down and throw paint on them, but that's such a silly rationale. They're not lurking on street corners with buckets of paint, waiting fur wearing folks to pass them by.
So, what do you guys think? Do you have special things that you're waiting, with bated breath, to bust out on the first cool day? Or are you more of a "throw a sweater over my sundresses" type?

Shoes: Seychelles
Skirt: Asos
Top: f21 (gifted from a friend. It's got foxes on it!)
Fur: Paper Moon Bakery (a coffeeshop/bakery in my neighborhood that usually has a rack of vintage clothes. This was only $10! The tarts we picked up for a dinner party cost more than this thing did.)

10 comments:

  1. I love the texture and color of this skirt. It's perfect for Fall!

    Oh, and you should email me jessica@midwest-muse.net I couldn't find your email address and am working on a series of posts about having a pixie cut. That is if you want to join in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely I'm interested! I'll email you right now.

      Delete
  2. I so read that title in Jesse Pinkman's voice :D

    Heck, yah, it's fall and I couldn't be happy. Do I miss summer already? You bet, but fall is my favourite season and it's about two breaths long here in Canada, so I have to get my pumpkin spice everything, opaque tights, apple cider drinking grove on while I can!!! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* You look seriously sensational here!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breaking Bad, how I miss you.
      Chicago has so many ups and downs that fall weather can last anywhere from two weeks to six months. Not literally, but it definitely feels that way. We've got properly fall-ish weather for the next couple of days, but it's supposed to bounce back up to the high 70s by the end of the week. I take my fall where I can get it!

      Delete
  3. I love that fox top! So cute.

    It seems nice that there is this positive attitude to the coming of autumn in America. Everyone seems to be talking pumpkin spice and Halloween and warm colours and cosy sweaters. Maybe it's the shortage of decidious trees, opposite timing of Halloween and Christmas, or just the it's-all-about-summer attitude, but I feel like when summer ends here, all I can think about is "Awww, now I have to wear real shoes again."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could definitely understand that. Part of the excitement about fall, at least for me, is definitely Halloween and Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  4. My berets are definitely waiting... and I seem to be buying more in the meantime! I don't have any real fur and I can't work out how I feel about it - I kind of feel hypocritical too as I eat meat and wear leather... but I think you've hit the nail on the head with the *way* fur is produced that the likes of PETA object to. Which is fair enough. I avoid buying it as I don't understand enough about the issue... Anyway, you haven't gone overboard with matching colours in this outfit, I love them! Makes me feel cosy just looking at you, heh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the most beautiful skirt ever, perfect colour scheme too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a really fun piece, I love wearing it.

      Delete